I was determined to make a better eggplant parm that I could enjoy as much as everyone else did, and one that was quicker and easier.
Instead of doing it like a baked dish with long slices, I made small eggplant parm appetizers! Here is the recipe:
Fried Eggplant Parm Bites
Seasonings of your choice (I used garlic, salt, and pepper)
1. Wash and dry your eggplant (before ever making EP I was so intimidated by its leathery exterior, dont be!)
2. Remove the skin. (I kept the skin on my last eggplant dish and found it hard to eat.)
3. Slice your eggplant.
*Now is a good time to put a little oil in a shallow pan so that it can be hot and ready to fry!*
4. Season eggplant w/ salt, pepper and garlic. (I have learned that EP by itself has NO taste, so please season!)
5. Dip eggplant in egg.
6. Dip eggplant in bread crumbs. (if you prefer to bread your eggplant before seasoning feel free to do so.)
7. Throw eggplant slices in the pan to fry.
*This probably goes without saying but if the oil does not sizzle when placing the food in the pan, it is not hot enough and the food will be soggy with oil. Medium heat will suffice throughout!
After you have fried up all your eggplant!
1. Put a layer of sauce at the bottom of a baking pan
2. Lay fried eggplant on top (Do not stack eggplant let them lay flat)
3. Put a thin layer of sauce on top of the eggplant
(between my eggplant and second layer of sauce I added a homemade cheese sauce I made; flour, butter, milk, Cayenne pepper, salt, mozzarella cheese mixed together over low heat).
4. Sprinkle cheese on top.
Pop that in the oven just long enough for the sauce to heat and cheese to melt!
Ms. Get Right